Introducing #KEEPLouisville! Our historic buildings create the fabric of Louisville’s cultural landscape. Tag photos of favorite buildings and sites with #KEEPLouisville on social media and help us celebrate preservation positivity! (Scroll down below events for more!)
Launched in May 2021, Happy Hour History is our new live monthly web series!
Join us every THIRD THURSDAY for a fun and educational history-related topic,
plus a cocktail demonstration! See past episodes of Happy Hour History HERE!
Save the date and register for the rest of 2021!
View recordings of #Preservation Month 2021 Events at our new page!
- Thurs. May 27, 12 PM: WEBINAR / Lunch & Learn: Historic Tax Credits (WATCH RECORDING HERE)
Do you have a historic house? Find out how historic tax credits might be able to help with your next renovation project! Learn about the state and federal program with Erick Rawlings, architect with the Kentucky Heritage Council. Vital Sites staff also presented the East Broadway Row case study, which passed tax credits through to the homebuyers, as well as Schweitzer Pharmacy, which was recently listed on the National Register.
- Thurs. May 20, 5 PM: WEBINAR / Happy Hour History: Victorian Cocktails! (WATCH RECORDING HERE)
- Sat. May 15: Downtown Loop Walking Tour with Urban Design Studio. A great summary of the walk can be found here! Thanks so much to those who walked with us! It was a beautiful day to explore part of downtown!
Let’s focus on places you’ve found that you’d love to #KEEPLouisville!
Imagine strolling down Museum Row without being able to look up at the fanciful and strong cast-iron facades. (Similarly, what if Whiskey Row was demolished instead of restored?) Or think about how you would feel if your favorite shopping district was leveled for another strip mall or parking lot. Louisville is well-known for our amazing local shops, restaurants, and businesses. Everyone has that favorite neighborhood spot to meet up with friends after work or celebrate with family members. Local independent businesses are more likely to reinvest in their communities.
What historic building do you admire for its architectural features?
What’s the best park to go jogging or walk the dog?
What local shop always has that perfect gift?
Where do you love to get takeout?
How can YOU participate in our #KEEPLouisville campaign?
Pick one or more:
- If there’s a place you LOVE in your neighborhood or community, snap a photo and use the hashtag #KEEPLOUISVILLE. That’s it! If you already use tags on great places in Louisville, please consider adding one more. Let’s flood the tag with images of the buildings and sites and places that you want to KEEP around in Louisville!
- Is your favorite local building listed on Metro’s Preservation Planning Story Map?
- Vote with your feet and your wallet! It’s important to highlight our shared history in Louisville, but we also encourage you to support local. Plan to visit your favorite LOCAL shops, galleries, restaurants, and other businesses and SUPPORT them! If you need ideas, check out the Louisville Independent Business Alliance directory, or look through the First Friday Hop member list.
- If you use social media, find images of lost landmarks, buildings, restaurants, etc. in Louisville and post with the hashtag #LOSTLOUISVILLE. Access the online digital collection at the University of Louisville or use Google Earth to go back in time on street views! For instance, maybe you could share personal snapshots or postcards or other ephemera of historic buildings that are no longer standing. This story map from UofL is quite fascinating!
- In conclusion, let us know!! Email us to share your favorites: firstname.lastname@example.org In addition, you can reach out to our local preservation friends, Louisville Historical League and NPP Kentuckiana.